NZMCC has initiated and leads a number of projects to support industry development and better patient access to medicinal cannabis. These include:
- We commissioned a review of the clinical safety evidence for CBD products to justify having low-dose CBD products taken out of the Prescription Only medicines classification. This project is ongoing with a goal of at least Pharmacy Only status for CBD products.
- Increasing prescriber and pharmacist training options to help improve understanding of medicinal cannabis products in general, prescribing guidelines, risks and potential benefits based on the available evidence for cannabis in general and specific product formulations and delivery mechanisms.
- We helped develop a Capability Roadmap for Medicinal Cannabis with Callaghan Innovation as a resource for individuals, groups and businesses interested in entering the sector.
- Working with standards-setting bodies and regulators on a number of industry areas to establish robust standards for industry activities including:
- testing of cannabinoids in plants and products;
- cultivation and harvesting of cannabis for medicinal purposes;
- extraction and processing methods;
- labelling and advertising of medicinal cannabis products and companies.